Today marks my official halfway mark of the year to 40. I still don’t know how this happened. I remember being 17 like it was yesterday. I remember thinking 40 was so old and that it would be forever until I got there. And now that I know time goes so fast, I can honestly say that I am almost 60! Ok, ok, maybe that is extreme but you know what I mean.
Today is the big 39.5. I think there should be a card for that. While I am not thrilled at turning 40 and anytime I say this to someone who has already turned 40 they say “it’s not a big deal”, it still seems that way for me. I remember my mom’s 40th birthday!! She got a new diamond ring and I remember the photo that she took with it.
So for the next six months, I’m determined to do a bunch of things I wanted to do before I turned 40. Not that I haven’t done a bunch of really really cool things up until now but still, I might as well have a goal for the next few months. Now obviously, some of the things that WERE on my list are pretty much not going to happen. For example, birth a child or go on an African safari. Mainly because it would be physically impossible for me to birth a baby in six months and it would take me at least a year to actually plan a trip that amazing.
So here is a list of things that I would like to accomplish. If I do just a few I will be happy because I am sure there will be plenty of others added:
- Plan a huge 40th birthday bash. I’m talking big. Like I want 200 people there and I don’t even care if I know those people. I want people from my past there even if we haven’t talked and really I can’t stand you now. I want people from my present (you too Kevin**) and I want people in my future to come even if I don’t know who they are going to be there. God dammit, I want Leonardo DiCaprio to come! I have gone to so many weddings and baby showers (ok not baby showers because I usually find an excuse on those) and engagement parties (again, I really haven’t had to go to those either). But weddings, bar mitzvahs, bat mitzvahs, anniversary parties, kids birthday parties, adult birthday parties,….I have had to go to a lot of those. And I have had to give lots of gifts and put lots of cards on my fridge and look at lots of photos on Facebook of all these events. And I haven’t had a wedding or a shower or anything of this kind so it’s my turn, people. It’s my turn! I want more presents than I can possibly open in one day. I want people to come from everywhere just to come to my party. I want my invite on people’s fridges for three months so every time they go in for their hummus they think of me. Is that asking too much?
- I want to see a baby animal being born. Preferably a puppy or a calf. I do not want to assist. I just want to watch.
- I want to go to Charleston, South Carolina
- I want to watch the entire series of The Wire
- I want to read at least ten books
- I want to make homemade pasta*(see below)
- I want to fix my *KitchenAid mixer (I’ve said this for over three years)
- I want to write three chapters of my book
- I want to send two letters from people in my past just saying hi. The ones who would never expect something from me (even if they end up throwing it in the trash). I mean, they are going to get my save the date too anyway so they can get used to my correspondence.
(**Kevin’s half birthday is also today.)